Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Equality Evolution - By Matty Jacobson


Matty Jacobson owns, operates, edits
and contributes to The Skewed Review.
He is seen here invoking the '80s, but
many thought he was channeling Adam
Lambert.

Equality Utah celebrated for the second year in a row in southern Utah; and that's a pretty epic step in the journey to equal rights.

This year's celebration, Equality Evolution, was a little bittersweet for me. Last year I had the opportunity to be loosely involved in the planning process. But with my editorial duties for Dixie Sun, it was near impossible for me to follow through on a lot of the responsibilities that came with being on Equality Utah's committee. So this year my involvement was restricted to celebration attendee only. 

Well, and eventually I got a press badge for the photos I was taking. 

I was glad to see the celebration, like it's namesake this year, has evolved. Last year was a great start to a wonderful tradition, but I think this year's event was even better. In lieu of any drag performances (which I hereby declare too cliche for a serious fundraising event), the committee opted to have three actors portray three human rights pioneers: Susan B. Anthony, Harvey Milk and Barney Frank. 

It was not just a piece of entertainment like it was last year. This year it was educational. Well done, Equality Utah. Pictured below is just a small sample of the fun that was had at Kayenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Was this spot on? Did this totally suck? Did the review bring to mind something that happened to you? Tell us!